Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
For A Free Consultation 877-767-1032

Condo HOAs And Providing A Safe Environment


If you are a condominium resident in Clearwater, Hudson, or Tampa, you likely choose to buy a condo because it is a convenient and affordable choice. After all, condos are typically less expensive to buy than single family homes and many condo buildings are located close to recreational activities or in locations with stunning views.

Condos can be wonderful places to live and life-long friendships have been developed in condo buildings. But what happens if you were hurt in a common area of the building? Do you file with your insurance or do you contact the building’s home owner association (HOA)? When you are unsure how to have your medical expenses covered, talk to a Florida injury lawyer to understand your recovery options.

HOAs Have a Responsibility to Reduce Dangers in Common Areas

Basically, HOAs are governing groups for condo buildings and planned neighborhoods. The group is in charge of creating and maintaining a budget for the building or community. Building expenses, such as repair cost, landscaping fees, and common utility charges, are paid out of dues paid for by HOA members. Often these dues are paid monthly. In some situations they are paid quarterly or annually.

While HOAs have a broad range of responsibilities, one of the things they need to do is to provide an environment that is safe. If there is broken pavement in a common area that is clearly a danger for individuals using the walkway, it needs to be repaired, for instance. A common area is used by all residents.

Some examples of condo common areas follow:

  • Hallways and lobbies
  • Elevators and stairways
  • Laundry rooms and HVAC areas
  • Tennis courts
  • Landscaped areas and gardens
  • Changing rooms and pool decks
  • Fitness centers and swimming pools
  • Roofs and rooftop decks
  • Sidewalks and walkways

Trips, slips and falls can lead to serious injuries, resulting in high expenses. Your condo association may have insurance coverage that will provide you with the compensation you need to pay medical fees and move past an injurious event in a common area.

Work with a Florida Attorney

Connecting with a Florida personal injury lawyer means a legal professional can negotiate with the HOA insurance company on your behalf. Let your building HOA know about the injury. It may be best to put the notification in writing, a lawyer can advise you on best practices when starting a personal injury claim. For example, they may seek images of the area where the accident occurred in order to connect the injury with negligence in building maintenance.

Were you in a Florida hospital and are now receiving high medical bills because you were injured in the common area of your condo building? Talk to a skilled legal professional to understand what your options are moving forward. Compensation may be possible if you are juggling medical care expenses, property damages, and lost income. Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer to understand your rights. The attorneys at Roman & Roman have over 100 years of combined experience. Schedule your free consultation today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Clearwater Office

Clearwater Office

fax: 727-736-3234
2274 FL-580
Clearwater, FL 33763
Hudson Office

Hudson Office

Hernando: 352-796-2151
fax: 727-736-3234
12000 U.S. Hwy 19
Hudson, FL 34667
Tampa Office

Tampa Office

(by appointment only)
fax: 727-736-3234
9301 W. Hillsborough Ave.
Tampa, FL 33615
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not
be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

© 2015 - 2024 Roman & Roman, P.A. All rights reserved.

Contact Form Tab