Dangers Of Distracted Walking In Clearwater, Hudson, Or Tampa
Texting while driving is a known risk, Florida drivers know that safe driving means paying attention to their surrounding environment. But it is common for pedestrians to forget there are risks to distracted walking as well. If you are looking at your phone, scrolling through social media apps or texting with friends while crossing a road, you may fail to see a car coming toward you. Or, you may trip and fall on a piece of broken pavement.
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident and feel another was at fault, connect with a Florida personal injury attorney. There have been pedestrians who were injured when they slipped and fell and others who were hurt when they were struck by a vehicle in a car accident or motorcycle collision.
There are Ways to Walk Safely
While walking can be a way to enjoy lovely Florida weather and get exercise, it is important to remember that there can be risks. Stay safe and remain aware of crosswalks, cars, and uneven pavement.
- Do not assume one stopped car means it is safe to walk. Even when one vehicle stops at an intersection, there could be a car behind the stopped vehicle that swerves ahead without looking.
- Reduce the sound level of music and podcasts. When wearing headphones, be sure to keep the sound at a level that makes it possible to hear dangers.
- Cross roads. Do not stand or stop in crosswalks. Wait until you are safely crossed before responding to texts or changing settings.
- Wear bright colors. Overcast weather and night walks can make it difficult to see pedestrians. Opt for light, reflective clothing when possible
- Resist the urge to jaywalk. When cars anticipate pedestrians, they will often drive cautiously. Cross streets at the appropriate places and stay within crosswalks.
Of course, traffic is only one of many risks. People have also been injured when driveways and yards have not been taken care of appropriately. Parking lot falls have led to fractures, cuts, and concussions, for example.
Even when you take all of the precautions you can, accidents are still possible. Removing distractions when walking is helpful and may help you to reduce the likelihood of an accident injury.
Talk to a Florida Lawyer After a Pedestrian Injury
If you were hurt because of the reckless behavior of another, damage recovery is possible. Pedestrian injuries have led to compensation settlements when car drivers were negligent and when property owners did not care for a clear public injury risk. All of your personal injury questions can be answered when you connect with a skilled attorney.
Were you injured when walking in Hudson, driving in Clearwater, or bicycling in Tampa? Talk to a skilled legal professional to understand what your options are moving forward. Compensation may be possible if you are juggling medical care expenses, property damages, and lost income. Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer to understand your rights. The attorneys at Roman & Roman have over 100 years of combined experience. Schedule your free consultation today in Clearwater, Hudson, or Tampa.