Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
For A Free Consultation 877-767-1032

Do I Need Motorcycle Insurance in Florida?


May was Motorcycle Safety Awareness month, so what better time than to try and remedy one of the most confusing aspects of Florida vehicle insurance law.

Florida is one of the few states that does not legally require insurance in order to register your motorcycle. However, there are consequences for getting into a crash without appropriate coverage.

Florida’s Financial Responsibility Law

If you are a resident of Florida, you’re likely aware of Florida’s Financial Responsibility Law. This law requires drivers of vehicles with at least four wheels to carry minimum personal injury (PIP) coverage, which covers up to $10,000 of the policy holder’s medical bills in the event emergency medical help is needed due to a collision.

Florida is a no-fault auto insurance state, which means that regardless of who is at fault for the collision, all drivers will file independently with their own PIP provider.

It’s important to understand that this does not apply to motorcycles the same way it does to cars. Likewise, the no-fault rule does not apply to motorcycle drivers. This means that if a motorcycle driver is in an accident, they must pursue financial retribution from the other drivers for damages and injuries resulting from the crash. It’s also important to note that motorcycle drivers are not required to demonstrate that their injuries meet a certain threshold of severity or urgency, as 4-wheeled vehicle drivers would be.

Financial Responsibility Options

While Florida motorcycle owners are not required to have insurance in order to register the motorcycle, they are still held financially responsible in the event of a collision, and not being prepared to meet this responsibility can have major consequences.

Floridians have three options for ensuring that they are prepared to be financially responsible in case of a crash. The most common option is purchasing liability insurance. When doing so, ensure that you are purchasing a policy through a licensed Florida carrier. Alternatively, you can obtain a Financial Responsibility Certificate from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, or a Self-Insurance Certificate from the Bureau of Financial Responsibility.


If you are responsible for a collision and do not have liability coverage to cover damages, you could face serious consequences, including having your driving privileges suspended and civil suits filed against you for damages by other drivers.

Talk to an Experienced Florida Auto Accident Attorney

If you’ve been involved in a car or motorcycle accident due to another driver’s negligence and have suffered injuries, it’s important to talk to an experienced Florida auto accident attorney as soon as possible. The attorneys at Roman & Roman have over 100 years of combined experience, and, with offices in Clearwater, Hudson, and Tampa, you can trust that they know Florida law and are ready to fight for your rights. Call 877-767-1032 to schedule your free consultation today.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Clearwater Office

Clearwater Office

fax: 727-736-3234
2274 FL-580
Clearwater, FL 33763
Hudson Office

Hudson Office

Hernando: 352-796-2151
fax: 727-736-3234
12000 U.S. Hwy 19
Hudson, FL 34667
Tampa Office

Tampa Office

(by appointment only)
fax: 727-736-3234
9301 W. Hillsborough Ave.
Tampa, FL 33615
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not
be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

© 2015 - 2024 Roman & Roman, P.A. All rights reserved.

Contact Form Tab