I was so embarrassed, I just wanted to get out of that place!
Have you ever tripped on something and fallen down? Or sat on a chair that collapsed? It’s feels pretty embarrassing. I’ve met with numerous clients who fell down in a store or other type of public place and suffered injuries as a result. Sometimes these injuries even lead to surgery. Typically, the person falls because they trip or slip on something. I can’t begin to tell you how many times these folks report that they were “sooo embarrassed” that all they could think of doing was getting up as quickly as they can and getting out of the establishment where they fell. And, that’s just what they did. They left without reporting the fall. Then, after they get home, they realize that some part of their body now is beginning to ache, swell or turn blue.
Anyone can be the victim of a fall. Supermarkets and large retail stores are pretty popular places for customer accidents. The cause can be something as simple as a spill that wasn’t wiped up by the store employees or a buckled carpet. Here are some tips if this ever happens to you or someone you are with:
- Before you pick yourself off the floor, look to see what caused you to fall;
- If you’re hurt, call for help to pick you up and wait for someone to come;
- Ask for the manager or make sure a store employee comes to the place where you fell and sees the same thing that caused you to fall and get his or her name;
- Fill out an incident report and get a copy of what you sign;
- Write down the names of the store employees who saw you fall or who saw that thing that caused you to fall;
- Take a cell phone photo if you can;
- Ask for medical attention if you think you have a bad injury, otherwise, obtain medical attention for your injury as soon as possible; and
- Be nice, don’t get angry, maintain your cool, and don’t start threatening to sue.
Oh, and don’t forget this one: If you have been injured, see a lawyer so that you know what your legal rights are.