Happy 4th of July!!
Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays. Not only is it the anniversary of the birth of our nation, but it is a day to celebrate with family and friends and to remember how lucky we are to live in this great country. Like most people, I enjoy fireworks! Unfortunately improper use of fireworks can cause injuries such as severe burns, amputations, blindness and death. As you can imagine, fireworks injuries dramatically increase on the 4th of July. If you are going to be using fireworks this 4th of July, legal fireworks are the safest fireworks because they are regulated by the federal government. Before you use fireworks, contact your local authorities to insure that the use of legal fireworks are permitted in the area. Here are some other tips for using fireworks safely:
- Fireworks should not be used by young children and a responsible adult should always be present when fireworks are being used
- Always read the directions
- Use legal fireworks purchased from a reputable source
- Fireworks should be used outside in an open area and away from crowds of people
- Have a bucket of water and hose handy
- Do not use near dry grass or other flammable materials
- Do not point or throw fireworks at another person
- Do not try to re-light a “dud”
You can find more fireworks safety information at http://www.fireworksafety.com/
Also, 4th of July celebrations often involve the consumption of alcoholic beverages. So, be extra cautious when driving so as to avoid being the victim of a drunk driver, and also, please drink responsibly! I hope you and your family have a great 4th of July weekend!