Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
For A Free Consultation 877-767-1032

What Do I Do When the Other Driver Was Uninsured?

CarAccClaim2

After a Florida auto accident, there can be a lot of expenses. While auto insurance does handle the costs of an accident in many cases, there are times when expenses go beyond the amounts offered through an insurance settlement offer.

In 49 of the 50 states in the country, auto insurance is a requirement. That said, there are still drivers who are uninsured. According to the Florida Insurance Council, the state of Florida is one of the leaders in uninsured drivers. It is estimated by the council that the percentage of uninsured drivers in Florida is over 26%.

If you were in an accident and the other driver was negligent and uninsured or underinsured, you need a Florida personal injury attorney on your side.

Accident Injuries and Florida as a No-Fault State

As a no-fault state, drivers involved in accidents will typically have the first $10,000 of their medical bills paid out by their own auto insurance company. In general, your own insurance will cover approximately 80% of expenses and the other 20% could be covered by the other driver’s auto insurance. But if they aren’t insured, a personal injury suit may be needed.

Some of the injury damages that could add up after an accident:

  • Expenses of wrongful death.
  • Hospital expenses, doctor bills, and medical charges.
  • Lost income due to injuries.
  • Intangible losses, such as pain and suffering.

There can be a lot of bills connected to car accidents. It is not uncommon for individuals to find they have difficulties managing all of the expenses on their own, particularly when there are multiple charges coming from a variety of sources. If an at-fault driver does not have insurance or is underinsured, you may need legal support to protect yourself and your family finances.

Personal Assets and Litigation

If an uninsured driver causes an accident, it may be possible to litigate. Even if the driver has no money, there can be options. Experienced Florida personal injury attorneys have the knowledge needed to discover personal assets and find ways for compensation, even when there is no cash offered.

There are also situations when payment plans are optimal. Over a designated time frame, one stipulated by a judge, payments can be made until the settlement amount is covered in full. Or, maybe defendant wages could be garnished. Discuss these options and other possibilities with a lawyer. Navigating the financial impact of medical bills and vehicle damages can be complex. Legal professionals can help.

Do not feel you have to pay the bills when you were not the negligent party. You are entitled to compensation, even when the driver was uninsured. There are ways to secure the amount you have a right to.

Were you injured in an accident with an uninsured motorist? You should not be responsible for all of the expenses if the accident was not your fault. Talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer to understand your rights. The attorneys at Roman & Roman have over 100 years of combined experience. Schedule your free consultation today in Clearwater, Hudson, or Tampa.

https://www.romanromanlaw.com/what-you-should-know-about-car-accidents-and-covid-19/

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Clearwater Office

Clearwater Office

fax: 727-736-3234
2274 FL-580
Clearwater, FL 33763
Hudson Office

Hudson Office

Hernando: 352-796-2151
fax: 727-736-3234
12000 U.S. Hwy 19
Hudson, FL 34667
Tampa Office

Tampa Office

(by appointment only)
fax: 727-736-3234
9301 W. Hillsborough Ave.
Tampa, FL 33615
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not
be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

© 2015 - 2020 Roman & Roman, P.A. All rights reserved.

Contact Form Tab