Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Clearwater Personal Injury Attorney
For A Free Consultation 877-767-1032

Wind Damage Property Claims in Florida


If you are in Florida for any amount of time, you know that the state is subject to hurricanes, tornadoes, tropical storms and other types of windstorms that damage both property and homes. In fact, six of the ten costliest hurricanes ever in the United States went through the state of Florida. If you suffered any kind of wind damage to your property in the state of Florida, you should understand your legal rights to ensure you receive compensation for your damages.

Insurance Companies

To receive compensation for any wind damage to your property, you will need to file either a hurricane deductible claim or a windstorm (or wind/hail) deductible.

  • Hurricane deductibles in an insurance policy require that the wind damage suffered to your property was due to the effects of a storm deemed to be a hurricane by the National Hurricane Center. Additionally, your specific insurance policy must cover any damage to your property from the beginning of a hurricane watch or warning through the following 72 hours after the watch or warning ends.
  • Windstorm deductibles apply to any type of wind damage suffered by your property. This damage can occur from a thunderstorm, tropical storm or any other type of wind event.

It is important to note that insurance companies typically do not offer fair and full settlement offers immediately following a wind damage event. In order to build a strong claim, you will need to make sure to take photographs and collect as much evidence as possible regarding your property damage due to wind. Also, you may need to place a tarp or other protection over your property in order to prevent additional damage from occurring. Always request any copies of any insurance company documents, investigations, or analysis done of your property by an insurance adjuster. As a final note, according to Florida law, if your roof has 25% damage or more, the entire roof must be replaced. Make sure you know the law before visiting with your insurance company or contact an experienced attorney to negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf.

Statute of Limitations

You only have a small window of time in order to file a wind damage claim in the state of Florida if your insurance company fails to offer you a fair settlement amount. The state of Florida requires that a property owner file a claim within three years of the storm or lose their legal right to file a claim for compensation.

Contact an Experienced Attorney

If you suffered any kind of wind damage due to a hurricane, tropical storm, thunderstorm or tornado in the state of Florida you have legal rights. Contact an experienced attorney at Roman & Roman today at 877-767-1032 or contact us online for a free consultation regarding your wind damage and how you may be able to receive compensation for your damaged property. We have offices in Clearwater, Hudson, and Tampa.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Clearwater Office

Clearwater Office

fax: 727-736-3234
2274 FL-580
Clearwater, FL 33763
Hudson Office

Hudson Office

Hernando: 352-796-2151
fax: 727-736-3234
12000 U.S. Hwy 19
Hudson, FL 34667
Tampa Office

Tampa Office

(by appointment only)
fax: 727-736-3234
9301 W. Hillsborough Ave.
Tampa, FL 33615
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not
be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

© 2015 - 2024 Roman & Roman, P.A. All rights reserved.

Contact Form Tab